The spirit in man is the distinguishing feature in all of God’s creation.
1 Corinthians 1:10-13
There must be unity for two to walk together; we as brethren should all speak the same thing; speak the same gospel and not have divisions among us and be perfectly joined together. Christ is not divided.
Here in the Corinthian church some were aligning themselves to certain individuals; we still see this in the church today.
Peter – Old School, Jewish tradition
Apollos – Polished Speaker
We need to have more than doctrinal unity.
Unity does not mean that we will always agree on everything
What is the basis of true unity within the body?
- The Spirit of God that dwells within us
Purpose of unification:
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
In order to have unity, we all have a role to play; we all must contribute something.
Unity and the Human Body Analogy
1 Corinthians 12:1-13
God gives these gifts for the profit of all
1 Corinthians 12:1-31
1Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity! 2It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron’s beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments;
Unity begins in the head (with leadership, and in our minds). Unity must first become a decision of the mind before it can become an action and a way of life. We have to make a conscious decision to be a united church; a unity family of God.
What practical steps can you take to bring more unity to this church; to the body of Christ?
- start or join a prayer group
- pray and have devotions together as a family
- visit the sick or shut in
- actively seek ways to serve others
- encourage others to use their gift to serve the body
- commit to cooperating with others rather than competing against them
- evaluate your attitude and your actions: are they building up or tearing down?
- share your resources and your gifts with others
- live by the house rules and hold one another accountable
When we choose this path:
2 Corinthians 13:14