1 Corinthians 13:1-3, 13
without faith it is impossible to please God
The Greatest Love is the love of God and loving our neighbour as we love ourselves.
What is love?
- Most of the love that we see in the world today is love for self. Self-centred behaviour; thinking that the whole world revolves around you.
- The love for things like money consumes many people today; also fame and position and the praise of men.
- Love of our kind (people in your circle, who share your interests or culture, etc…)
Different Kinds of Love
eros: sensual love; love for an object
philia: brotherly love; natural affection between
persons; social, shared; sometime sacrificial
agape: divine love; love of God; spiritual,
supernatural, sacrificial; part of ones nature
(1 John 4); a fruit of the holy spirit (Galatians 5:22)
eros: an if kind of love; if you love me, I will love
philia: a because kind of love; because you’re my
brother I will love you (GIVE AND TAKE)
agape: an inspite of kind of love; in spite of the fact
that you may be hostile towards me, I still love you. (ALL GIVE)
- God loved us first and gave Himself for us; it was all give.
- Agape goes on loving even when there is no response; even when there is a response of hatred.
- Are we working towards agape love in our hearts?
Jesus and Peter discuss agape and philia
Jesus asked Peter if he had agape love for Him and Peter responded that yes, he had philia for Him.
On the third time asking, Jesus asked if Peter had philia love for Him.
For God So loved the world…
1 Corinthians 13:4-
♫How deep the Father’s love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure♫