The Bible says, “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.”
Our purpose in the Prayer and Mercy Ministry is to pray for congregational goals and their welfare, to provide a forum for individual and collective intercessory prayer and to strengthen and closely unify the saints in Christ through prayer. We also want to alleviate the physical and emotional needs of individuals (inside and outside of the church) who are experiencing problems such as hunger, poverty, sickness, severe financial burdens, depression, discouragement, grief or who are shut in.
We receive and log all prayer requests and we visit individuals upon request to pray with them confidentially about any needs or concerns. We ensure members who are shut in or sick are visited, those who are disadvantaged in our midst are cared for, and extend services to others in our community as our resources permit.
To participate in this ministry, you should be prayerful, committed, have the gift of encouragement, able to sacrifice yourself for others, have the gift of service and have a passion to humbly serve and support others.
How will this ministry contribute to the congregation?
The Prayer Mercy ministry’s vision is for God to establish our congregation as “a House of
Prayer for all nations” which provides Holy Spirit led support to our household and those
neighbours whom he leads us to serve. (Isaiah 56:7. Matthew 21:13)
In two to three years, each household should be able to “cover their own door posts with the blood of Jesus” by taking personal responsibility to pray for their own household (Exodus 23:22-23). The Prayer Mercy team with the divine guidance of the Holy Spirit and the willingness of members of the congregation will provide encouragement for all who desire assistance to make their individual home a house of prayer.
What do we plan to accomplish in the coming year?
The Prayer–Mercy Ministries will significantly contribute to and be a vital component of CGI Toronto future vision of being a dynamic, actively-serving congregational family, as well as opening doorways to help further CGI Toronto’s mission of working in the GTA to preach the gospel by actively displaying the love of Christ to all.
The Prayer Ministry
- 1Timothy 2:1-2 — “I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.”
- Ac 12:12 — “And when he had considered the thing, he came to the house of Mary the mother of John, whose surname was Mark; where many were gathered together praying.”
- With Prayer and Spiritual maturity, provide a forum for individuals to grow and develop in personal, corporate and intercessory prayer which will facilitate a right perspective in exercising the power of prayer in their own lives.
- Encourage the development of intercessors and dedicated prayer team leaders
- Encourage and facilitate personal and corporate prayer via weekly, monthly and in home prayer meetings.
- New for 2012 the Prayer ministry introduces weekly After Services Prayer Ministry. This will provide a forum for praying for congregational needs and issues on a weekly basis. This personal ministry will provide a medium by which members will have personal experience with being ministered to, thus developing a transformation via the Holy Spirit
- New in 2012 : Provide Internet Prayer Services to intercede on behalf those who submit prayer request via the internet
- Monthly prayer meetings will be facilitated using 3 different formats
- The Regular/intercession meeting (5 planned)
- Prayer Services -Taking Prayers to the people (3 planned),
- Workshop/Small Group (4 planned)
The Mercy Ministry
Galatians 6:10 — “As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.”
- Provide care for our brethren to do our part to ensure all parts of the body are taken care off
- Provide support for our communities as stated below
- Monitor attendance report and contact brethren who are absent for a predetermined period of time. Follow up with cards, visits and notification to elders as required.
- Provide visitation program to shut ins
- Implement a tiered and selective process in collaboration with CGI Toronto leadership where persons in sincere need (ie: food &/or clothing) can receive aid confidentially.
- 6 visits to nursing home (Westburn Manor, 400 the West Mall 6:30-7:30 pm) in the Toronto area as part of our community outreach effort (3rd Sabbath Bimonthly)
- 3 food drives to support the local food banks to help address the needs of poor in the community (One every 4 months)
- 1 activity providing food & blankets for homeless